Historic Facts about New Palestine

  • Area surveyed in late 1700's
  • A known Indian village corn field was taken over in 1827 on the current cemetery site. In the same year a school was started with 16 pupils.
  • Town of New Palestine platted on 10-1-1838 by Jonathan Evans with 15 blocks and 36 lots.  There were 3 churches and a school.  The same year Jonathan opened a primitive department store.
  • Oldest building still standing in town today. It was built in 1846 as a restaurant and store at 115 E. Main Street.
  • 1852 had gravel roads with 3 toll booths in town until 1893
  • 1861 opened first Post Office
  • 1869 passenger rail service started and ran up to its end with the last passenger train to stop here 12/24/1950
  • Cemetery plotted in 1870
  • Town of New Palestine incorporated May 22, 1871 with a population of 279 and 70 qualified voters
  • 1881 and 1882 two taverns blown up over liquor disputes (not known who done it)
  • Taxes in 1881 were .92/100 valuation
  • 1896 first fire truck
  • 1901 Telephone service started with 42 members- monthly charge $.10. Bell Telephone added lines in 1906 so calls could go outside town.
  • Original town hall and fire station exploded from a gas line on 10/01/1906, three men were killed.
  • A new Town Hall was built on the same site soon after the fire and operated there until 10/12/2005. Over 100 years in the same place
  • 1919 brick street and storm drainage lines built - 3658 feet of street all brick laid by hand
  • 1985 Sewer plant and sewage started
  • Town bought the bank at Main Street and Bittner Rd. in 2005 for the Town Hall's new location.
  • 2006 Town has a Town Marshal, 2 deputies and 6 reserve deputies.
  • 2019 Entirely new larger Sewer Plant began operation.